Ah, summer. The birds are singing, the garden is growing by leaps and bounds, friends stop by to catch up and the sun is beating down. On all your beautiful skin. Are you doing what you need to do to keep you and your skin healthy?
- Moisturizer isn't sunblock. I love the body butters I make at Farmasoapia; they are light and my skin soaks up all that goodness. It's blissful. But I still need sunscreen or sunblock. Yes, it's an extra step to your day, but since this is the only skin we get, let's keep it from getting fried.
- You can still get too much sun on an overcast day. Clouds aren't sunblock, either. Those pesky UVA and UVB rays can still get to you. Besides, it's pretty likely the sun will peek out, so go ahead and get that sun protection on before it's too late.
- Reapply sunscreen often. Yeah, it can be a pain in the.... but it's way better than sunburn, age spots, or melanoma. And skin that isn't sun damaged looks younger WAY longer than skin that's been ignored.
- Don't forget your lips and eyes. If you've ever experienced the pain of severely chapped lips, you know what sunburned lips can feel like. Purchase lip balm with sunscreen - and apply often! Keep your eyes protected with good quality sunglasses and/or a nice stylish hat.
- Cover it up if you want to keep it! All the sunscreen and sunblock in the world is not going to do as good a job of protecting your skin as avoiding the exposure to begin with. No, I'm not talking a burka here, but there's nothing wrong with a wide brimmed bonnet and lightweight long sleeved blouses.
Your skin is here to protect you, and it covers every inch of you. A good skin care regimen includes cleaning, toning, moisturizing, and sun protection - and there are any number of ways you can achieve that. Be consistent, reapply often, and enjoy the benefits of younger looking skin for decades to come!